It’s perhaps a natural assumption that you can send your old and unused electrical and electronic goods to a landfill site, however it is actually illegal to do this. Waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE) is harmful to the environment and if not disposed of correctly can potentially release harmful toxins. Due to the guidelines listed in the WEEE Directive and other such schemes a certain amount of electrical and electronic appliances must be recycled or reused each year. Manufacturers and distributors have responsibilities for arranging disposal of goods no longer in use, but users have a responsibility for their own waste too.
When should you Arrange a Collection?
If you see this image anywhere on your equipment, then you should not send it to landfill, instead arrange for collection or proper disposal. The black bar at the bottom of the image shows that the equipment has been manufactured after August 2005 when the WEEE directive was first established. The initiatives put in place regarding correct EEE waste disposal are excellent as they encourage manufacturers to make it easier for consumers to recycle or discard old EEE.
There are lots of different materials involved in electrical equipment such as glass, metal, plastics etc. The list of hazardous metals and materials is also long (for example arsenic, cadmium, lead and mercury can all be found in household appliances) and it is for this reason that WEEE removal is a specialist service.
What we can Do for You
Clearance and Clean Up offer a fully WEEE compliant collection service. We collect, dispose and where possible, recycle all of your electrical/electronic waste. We are certified to take away almost anything that you need removing, but here is a list of EEE that we regularly remove on behalf of our clients:
- Computers and tower network systems
- LCD Plasma and CRT monitors
- Games consoles
- Alarm systems and equipment
- CCTV and security equipment
- Lighting, including flourescent tubes
- Any IT equipment, domestic or industrial
- Washing machines, cookers and fridges, domestic or industrial
- Air conditioning, domestic or industrial
If you are unsure whether or not we are able to take your appliances, don’t hesitate to get in touch. We most likely can help you out!
Our complete service includes:
- Collection and processing of all business, shop, commercial or domestic WEEE
- Consignment notes (where needed)
- Processing of WEEE
- Disintegration to base metals
- Re-use of base metals, once sorted
- Re-use of IT equipment where possible