Hi My name is Tom Pickering and I’m the owner of South Yorkshire largest on demand rubbish removal and property clearance company and I’m going to give you my top 10 tips to make your clearance go as smoothly as possible and save you both time and money on the process.
- Take anything you are keeping out of the property or at very least put in 1 room in the corner and label do not remove this will save the clearance company time trying to decide what is staying and what is going and avoids any confusion.
- This isn’t a must but will save time and ultimatly save you money empty and bag up the kitchen cupboards or at the very least take the items out and put on the kitchen side this will save the clearance company time.
- Empty and bag up clothes again not a must but will save time and you money also gives you a chance to make sure you haven’t missed anything of value.
- Get a charity round this good for a few reasons you are donating items and a bonus is the more they take for free the less the house clearance company
will charge as most companies price based on volume and time on site but don’t be disopointed when they take very little charities are inundated with stock and can be picky.
- When phoning to book your clearance have as much detail as possible to include , List of the large items cooker beds etc, Any access issues narrow lane etc , Details about basements or garages the better the detail the more accurate the price will be.
- Knowing whats required by this I mean house clearances can be done for many reason and the properties can be of any type weather its privately owned housing association council etc they all have different standards they want them back in so for instance if its privately owned is it going up for sale does it need cleaning and making presentable. If its a council house are the carpets to come up do the lights need changing back to standard fitments their is many questions to ask just cover your self by asking them what standard do you want the property to be handed over in.
- Time slots for booking your clearance this will all depend on the size of your clearance and the company will advise but I would recommend the first slot in the morning as this is normally more reliable as if they have jobs before you they could run over making them late to yours.
- Let the clearance company do their job once they are on site have a chat with them and leave them to it specially if its a full clearance and you have removed your items of value they will work faster ultimately saving you money if their was any problems they would have your number.
- On completion of the clearance walk round the property with a member of the clearance team making sure nothing has being missed sometime there is sneaky little cupboards etc that can be missed or hidden away so always check
- PAPERWORK PAPERWORK PAPERWORK this is so important make sure you are issued with the correct paperwork this should include a waste transfer note with the property address on the company name their address the Waste license number that can be checked online at the environment agency website. Make sure you are also issued with a receipt and if you are being charged VAT make sure there is a VAT number on the invoice their is no excuse these days for people not issuing paperwork wether it be straight after the job or via email on completion. cover yourself get the paperwork.